The Challenging Migrant Detention Conference is happening on June 19 -21, 2018 in Montreal, Canada.
The conference will draw on experiences of detention and resistance in multiple countries, and discuss strategies to challenge migrant detention, including research, litigation and community mobilization.
François Crépeau, McGill University, former UN Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Migrants; Jacqueline Bhabha, Harvard University; Mary Bosworth, University of Oxford; Jean-Nicolas Beuze, UNHCR; Guglielmo Schinina, IOM; representatives of the International Detention Coalition, Human Rights Watch, Human Rights First, End Immigration Detention Network, and many others
· Detention of children
· Migrant voices: former detainees speak out
· Mental health impact of immigration detention
· Migrants’ experiences at the US/Mexico border
· Resistance to deportation and detention in Israel, Italy and Greece
· Fortress Europe: From the Balkans route to Mediterranean hotspots
· Detention of migrants in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Australia
· Racialization and Othering in the detention process
· Innovative judicial remedies, from habeas corpus to Charter damages
· Strategies for minimizing immigration detention in Canada
Applied research Advocacy